Mobile Phone & Text Messaging Demographic Statistics: They're elusive, often ambiguous, & critical to developing a mobile campaign or business plan. It seems that every time we turn around, someone is asking us to send or recite demographic statistics. Of course, every source approaches demography from a different perspective, giving us (sometimes) wide-ranging figures. This blog section will catalog key figures from reputable sources and present a demographic summary area that tracks key indicators.
Key Indicator Chart: Coming soon.
stats from mKids survey
stats from "mKids Study" from GfK NOP Technology
* 50% of 10-18 yr olds have their own phone
* verizon & cingular have largest share of this demographic
* sprint/nextel has smaller share, but high brand awareness
* 75% of surveyed kids say their bill is paid by parents
* parents generally chose plan, kids chose phone
* yankee group study from 7/05 found that 50% of teens 13-17 would spend addl money on ringtones, music
* 53% of kids have downloaded games
avail only by purchase, unfortunately...
07.27.05: Statistics Summary from: "Surge in text messaging makes cell operators :-)"
* 192 million active mobile phones in the USA of which 90% can text message
* 63% of 18-27 year olds text message
* 31% of 28-39 year olds text message
* 18% of 40-49 year olds text message
(pew internet & american life project)
Source: Usa Today: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/2005-07-27-text-messaging_x.htm
08.11.05: Statistics Summary from: "Text Messages Sent by Cellphone Finally Catch On in U.S."
* 55 million cellphone users in the U.S.
* 4.7 billion text messages sent in the U.S. in December 2004
* 2.1 billion text messages sent in U.S. in December 2003
* 253 million text messages sent in U.S. in December 2001
* 203 text messages sent per U.S. user on average or 37 billion in total
(according to CTIA)
* Revenue from text messaging projected to grow to $4.3 billion in 2006 from $2.5 billion in 2004
* 71% of European mobile phone users send text messages - more than twice the U.S. percentage.
(according to Forrester Research, Inc.)
* 651 text messages sent per Chinese user on average or 218 billion in total
(according to Chinese information industry ministry)
* Verizon Wireless reports that its users sent more than 10 billion messages in 2004 - more than 3 times the number in 2003
* 33% of Americans between 25-34 text message regularly - up from 24% in 2004
* 25% texted from ages 25-44 - remaining at same rate
* 62% texted from ages 18-24 - up grom 52%
(From a 2005 Yankee Group survey of 5200 adults)
* American Idol processed 41.5 million text messages in 2005 season. Up 3x from the previous season.